Wednesday, July 11, 2018

What I'm Working On

At the moment, I have two major projects going on.

The first is a set of 10/15mm Fantasy armies.  I intend to use the Hordes of the Things (HotT) ruleset, which does not distinguish between those two scales.  If all that matters is the base size, I'm willing to have troops of different heights together as long as they look passable.  The "evil" army is comprised of 10mm (though I'm fairly certain they're taller than 10mm) Pendraken ratmen, Night Goblins, and Haedusmen (bull monsters).  Most of these have been painted, and they need only basing.

Ratmen
The opposition to the ratmen is an army of normal rats nemeses - dogs!  These dogmen are from Alternative Armies and are meant to be 15mm.  Instead of buying individual sets of figures, I opted to buy a 24AP army for HotT use.  I was satisfied with the purchase, but have since purchased several renaissance-era cannons and cannon crew that I intend to convert to dog artillerists.  Like the rat army, the dog army is not yet finished, but I hope to finish it within a week or so of my return home.


A dogman
What the dog army is supposed to look like

I am also working on a vague 15mm science fiction setting.  The figures are a mix of Alternative Armies, Stan Johanson, Pendraken, and other things I've picked up over the years.  I have several different "forces", most unpainted.  There are a group of Cowboys, intended to represent Firefly-esque colonials, a group of Canine punks, a small squad of generic human troops, and an assortment of different figures that I consider a single mercenary unit.  The largest force is comprised of a funny range (now out of production) made by Pendraken called Desert Rats.  These Desert Rats actually are anthropomorphic rats, and are equipped with pistols, grenades, and even a few heavy weapons.  I had to buy some of these figures, and I've formed the beginnings of a unit I call "Virgil M. Vermin's Third Shock Legion"  The Legion will have rat troops while its command will be a mix of Alternative Armies humans and rats.  All these groups roughly fit into a setting I've been in the process of creating for years.  The rats and human troops belong to an authoritarian, multi-stellar empire, while the canine punks, mercenaries, and cowboys will represent insurgent groups opposed to the authority of the first faction.  Work on my science fiction troops has barely started, but I'm optimistic about this year.

The only picture I can find online of the Desert Rats.

Canine punks.  They look better in person.


But wait, there's more!  Yesterday, with my newfound monies from the summer, I placed an order with Irregular Miniatures.  Don't let their rather old-fashioned website and lack of a webstore fool you, they run a tight ship (at least in my dealings with them so far)  A question earlier in the summer was answered promptly, and pictures of the codes I requested were sent very quickly.  I purchased a wide range of miniatures intended to supplement both my fantasy and science-fiction armies.  My fantasy armies will be bolstered by Dark Dwarves (to fight alongside the rats), regular (Light?) Dwarves for the Dog army, and fifteen Goatmen.  The canine punks will be bolstered by nearly thirty "space scum", a motley assortment of futuristic thugs of various species that I hope will be enough to field an urban punk army against the Rat Legion.  I tacked on a few aliens and humans that I thought looked interesting, as well as a squad of space Goatfolk!  I'm excited to see this order, though that won't be until I get home as I had the package sent there.
 
Space scum

Goats with guns!  In space!


I really hope that this year will be a productive one for painting and gaming, and I hope that having a blog to update about my work will be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment